Flipped Classroom FAQs – part 1

flipped FAQs

After presenting in the Connected PE Online Conference, I managed to get a hold of the chat transcript (which I was oblivious to during the presentation). There were a lot of questions and comments relating to concepts I was talking about, so I thought I would use this post to try to answer some of those questions.

What percentage of students complete the required work outside of the class?

This all comes down to your ability to generate student buy in. This can be done in a number of ways. I choose to slowly introduce flipped learning concepts so students start to understand what flipped learning is all about. I will usually send a parent letter home which also links to my flipped learning introduction video. We also watch this video in class and explicitly teach the students how to “watch” a video (you would be surprised at how many students don’t know how to minimise distractions)! To answer the original question, I would usually expect 85% buy in for the first session. The remaining 15% receive some sort of consequence for not completing the work, but they quickly get on board once they see what the modified lessons now look like.

Does every student have a device at home?

No! And this can have it’s challenges. Motivated students will find access from the school library, or the PE department during lunchtimes. Unmotivated students will struggle if they don’t have readily available access, but the more successful you can be at repurposing your classroom time to create exciting and engaging content, these students will quickly find access to devices to complete the videos. Yes some students and parents might make a little noise about this, but I would hope that my senior management understood the value I was trying to add and were prepared to support the new approach to learning.

What kind of parental reactions am I having?

Most parents are fascinated by the approach and are pleased to see genuine innovation occurring in a learning area that many assume to be non academic. I had one parent joke that their child chewed through their bandwidth watching my videos! Generally parents are supportive and willing to encourage their children to participate in the flipped approach.

Students that don’t complete the flipped work – do they hold the class back? 

No. Most students will come in, catch up on the missed video for 7-8 minutes on a device in my room, then join in on the end of the student lead focus questions. This is where there must be a consequence for that student as most will see that as an easy opportunity to watch the videos on my time. The student lead focus questions are crucial to develop understanding around the previous nights concepts, so I really don’t want them to miss that component.

These are only a smattering of the questions asked in the transcript. I will continue to add to this FAQ over the coming weeks.



Leave a Replay

About Me

Carl Condliffe is a Health and PE teacher passionate about using technology to create authentic and meaningful learning experiences for his students.

Recent Posts

Follow Us